View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 30, 2020, 03:55pm
Administrator

NevadaRef:

I) B1 and W1 are both moving in parallel paths:

A) B1 continues to move along his path and Obtains a LGP just prior to W1 making contact with him after W1 deviates from his path,

B) B1 continues to move along his path and attempts to Obtain a LGP just prior to W1 making contact with him after W1 deviates from his path, or

C) B1 continues to move along his path and W1 makes contact with him after W1 deviates from his path.

II) What are the Rulings in Part I?

A) Part I-A: We both agree that this is a Charging Foul by W1 but for different reasons. That difference of reason is the subject of our (you and me) discussion and may have ramifications for your Rulings in II-B and II-C.

B) Is this Blocking by B1 or Charging by W1? Me: Charging. You: ??

C) Is this Blocking by B1 or Charging by W1? Me: Charging. You: ??

III) Guarding or Screening, First Part:

A) 2019-20 NFHS Basketball Rule 4, Section23: Definition of Guarding:

Article 1: Guarding is the act of legally placing the body in the path of an offensive opponent. There is no minimum distance required between the guard and opponent, but the maximum is 6 feet when closely guarded. Every player is entitled to a spot on the playing court provided such player gets there first without illegally contacting an opponent. A player who extends an arm, shoulder, hip or leg into the path of an opponent is not considered to have a legal position
if contact occurs.

Article 2: To obtain an initial legal guarding position:
a. The guard must have both feet touching the playing court.
b. The front of the guard’s torso must be facing the opponent.

Article 3: After the initial legal guarding position is obtained:
a. The guard may have one or both feet on the playing court or be airborne, provided he/she has inbound status.
b. The guard is not required to continue facing the opponent.
c. The guard may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, provided it is not toward the opponent when contact occurs.
d. The guard may raise hands or jump within his/her own vertical plane.
e. The guard may turn or duck to absorb the shock of imminent contact.

Article 4: Guarding an opponent with the ball or a stationary opponent without the ball:
a. No time or distance is required to obtain an initial legal position.
b. If the opponent with the ball is airborne, the guard must have obtained legal position before the opponent left the floor.

Article 5: Guarding a moving opponent without the ball:
a. Time and distance are factors required to obtain an initial legal position.
b. The guard must give the opponent the time and/or distance to avoid contact.
c. The distance need not be more than two strides.
d. If the opponent is airborne, the guard must have obtained legal position before the opponent left the floor.

B) 2019-20 NFHS Basketball Rule 4, Section40: Definition of Screening:

Article 1: A screen is legal action by a player who, while touching the playing court, without causing contact, delays or prevents an opponent from reaching a desired position.

Article 2: To establish a legal screening position:
a. The screener may face any direction.
b. Time and distance are relevant.
c. The screener must be stationary, except when both the screener and opponent are moving in the same path and the same direction.
d. The screener must stay within his/her vertical plane with a stance approximately shoulder width apart.

Article 3: When screening a stationary opponent from the front or side (within the visual field), the screener may be anywhere short of contact.

Article 4: When screening a stationary opponent from behind (outside the visual field), the screener must allow the opponent one normal step backward without contact.

Article 5: When screening a moving opponent, the screener must allow the opponent time and distance to avoid contact by stopping or changing direction. The speed of the player to be screened will determine where the screener may take his/her stationary position. The position will vary and may be one to two normal steps or strides from the opponent.

Article 6: When screening an opponent who is moving in the same path and direction as the screener, the player behind is responsible if contact is made because the player in front slows up or stops and the player behind overruns his/her opponent.

Article 7: A player who is screened within his/her visual field is expected to avoid contact by going around the screener. In cases of screens outside the visual field, the opponent may make inadvertent contact with the screener and if the opponent is running rapidly, the contact may be severe. Such a case is to be ruled as incidental contact provided the opponent stops or attempts to stop on contact
and moves around the screen, and provided the screener is not displaced if he/she has the ball.

Article 8: A player may not use the arms, hands, hips or shoulders to force his/her way through a screen or to hold the screener and then push the screener aside in order to maintain a guarding position on an opponent.

IV) Guarding or Screening, Second Part:

A) R4-S40-A1: "A screen is legal action by a player who, while touching the playing court, without causing contact, delays or prevents an opponent from reaching a desired position."

1) You quote R4-S40-A2c to disprove my position that neither B1 nor W1 are effecting a legal Moving Screen against each other prior to W1 deviating from his initial Path. Therefore,

2) Are you saying that B1 has committed a Blocking Foul in:

a) Part II-B? And

b) Part II-C?

I await your comments before going further in this discussion.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio