View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 30, 2020, 11:53am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
As other responders have already written, the call in the video is correct. This is a player control foul. I’ll note that the proper official makes the decision given that this is a transition play and the location of the defender involved. The only possible criticism would be that the proper NFHS PC signal was not used, but some areas elect not to use NFHS signals or mechanics or to modify them. Most importantly, the correct decision on the action was made according to the HS rules and it was communicated in a reasonably clear manner.

I have no idea what MTD is talking about with regard to screening principles. This is not a screening play. It is most clearly a guarding situation and the requirements of guarding and LGP are determinative. If one thinks about screens, one could get misdirected by the stationary requirement for a screener (except for one situation) and make the wrong ruling on a defender who is moving after obtaining LGP. Also, no time or distance is required in this situation because the opponent has the ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
I have a player control foul but mostly not for many of the reasons already discussed. Yes, focus is on the defender and they look to be in good position. However, what really sells it for me is the offensive player. The player gathers, looks at the defender, lowers their head/shoulder, and jumps directly into the defender. It is not even an offensive move but rather a jump into the defender move. I take issue with the L making this call as the play is clearly outside their primary area. C should have ran faster, been closer, and made the call. This is a good play/area to pre-game and perhaps they did. Just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
You need to learn to officiate according to the rules and not just by what you like or don’t like. Here’s why what you write above is a problem: the play comes down to legal guarding position. If the defender has obtained it, then this is a charging foul (which morphs into a player control foul because the opponent has the ball), if not then BY RULE this is a blocking foul on the defender despite the fact that the offensive player causes the contact by moving into his opponent as he heads towards the basket.
To give a specific example: If the defender in the video had been running back in an attempt to cut off the dribbler and merely been able to jump in front of his opponent shortly before this contact and only have one foot down on the floor, then the NFHS guarding rule coupled with the rule for a blocking foul, inform us that the correct decision is a blocking foul despite the action with which you take issue, namely the offensive player jumping into the defender. What you like or don’t isn’t relevant.

Furthermore, your opinion of which official should be making this call is mistaken. Even if the C had run faster and put himself further down the floor and closer to the play, he still would have a poor view of the crash. The offensive player is between the C and the defender blocking his line of sight. The L has full view of the defender and can track him to determine whether or not he obtains LGP prior to the contact. That is the most salient factor to ajudge in this action. The principle to officiate the defense is paramount and demonstrates which official should be making the call, namely the one who has the best view of the defender.

Please read my comments of today at 12:51pmEDT.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio