View Single Post
Old Thu Jun 25, 2020, 12:38pm
Esteemed Forum Member

We're All In This Together ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
The masks protect others from the wearer.
Something that many can't seem to comprehend.

After having my appointment postponed once due to COVID-19, I had my six month checkup a few days ago (I'm a cardiac patient). My doctor told me that if all of those who were medically able, and of appropriate age, would simply wear a surgical mask all the time (or at least while indoors) when out in public (outside the family home) we would be a lot healthier and be able to fully restart our economy.

For many reasons, some simply can't wear a mask. But for many others, while they can wear a mask, they simply don't want to wear a mask, and refuse to wear a mask, putting the health and economy of the country at great risk, all because of their Constitutional right to have the freedom not to do what others (government leaders, medical experts) advise (or mandate) them to do.

General Welfare. The concern of the government for the health, peace, morality, and safety of its citizens. Providing for the welfare of the general public is a basic goal of government. The preamble to the U.S. Constitution cites promotion of the general welfare as a primary reason for the creation of the Constitution.

I wear a mask when I venture out of my bomb shelter once a week to hunt and gather food. I don't view it as a political statement but rather as a patriotic statement and as a religious statement.

Love your neighbor as yourself. (Mark 12:31)

MRNA vaccines, hydroxychloroquine, dexamethasone, N-95 masks, ventilators, differentiating essential and nonessential workers, restricting international and interstate travel, opening or closing schools, arguing over proper names for the virus and the disease, differentiating essential and nonessential activities, testing, contact tracing, hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes, washing hands, debates over state governors taking over too much power, developing herd immunity, temperature checks, sneeze guards, pointing fingers at who caused this, etc., are all part of the equation, and may deserve a seat at the table, but a good start to digging ourselves out of this gigantic "plague" hole is just to wear a damn surgical mask when out in public indoors, maybe even outdoors in a crowd (concert, athletic event, etc.).

It's a cheap fix. It's an easy fix. It's common sense. It's science. We don't need anybody mandate that we must do this, let's just do it. Why not? What can go wrong? What's the downside? We all look foolish for several months?

Yeah, maybe years from now, historians will look back at this and say, "Look at those old photos of people wearing all those silly, stupid looking masks, making them all look weak and defenseless, acting like lemmings in the face of so-called experts, not knowing, as we now know today, that the virus would just simply go away all by itself in the July heat". If I'm still alive, I would be pleased to look at those old photos and laugh at myself. I might even roll around on the floor laughing my ass off.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Jun 26, 2020 at 09:43am.