View Single Post
Old Tue Jun 02, 2020, 02:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Typhood Mary ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
It's just another problem filled with problems.
While 100,000 deaths is pretty bad, the worse part of COVID-19 is that one can walk around with the virus for several days, maybe a week, while being completely asymptomatic and unaware that your'e sick and can infect others. That's not the case with many other infectious diseases, including influenza, (you get the influenza virus, don't know that your'e sick and spread the disease for only a few days, get sick, stay home from work or school, and stay in bed). Not so with COVID-19, with this disease one can infect dozens, maybe hundreds, before one even begins to feel sick.

Because of this, with no vaccine (maybe never, best chance is a very modern MRNA vaccine), our only defense as a society will be social distancing and masks because this virus can spread very quickly, killing the old and elderly, the sick (diabetes, asthma, emphysema, high blood pressure, heart disease, immunodeficiency disorders, etc.), cancer patients (chemotherapy), even some of the young and healthy, and maybe a few children.

Of course we can all wait for active immunity (due to surviving the disease) as the disease travels all over the world, killing millions, but that may take a very long time (luckily viruses have evolved to limit their carnage, if they didn't they would kill all their hosts and viruses die with no hosts).

COVID-19 isn't influenza, it's not a cold. It may not be the worst infectious disease, or have the worst symptoms, or the deadliest, or the most widespread, or the easiest to spread, or the easiest to catch, but it's still pretty bad.

I have a feeling that, like our Chinese, Korean, and Japanese friends, we'll (at least those that care about our family, friends, neighbors, coworkers, and complete strangers) be wearing our masks for a very long time, it might even become the new normal.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jun 03, 2020 at 03:57pm.