View Single Post
Old Thu May 28, 2020, 10:28am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I'm not talking about getting rid of camps, either. But I'm not surprised Rut took it that way and won't back down.
If you actually read what I said, I was asking for a solution? People that talk complain about the camp system do not explain what is the way to solve the issue. I was asking for solutions and the only other solution that is obvious if you are complaining about something is to either eliminate it or to overhaul the system you are complaining about does not work or is a rachet. Rich says he hires people by using game film. Well if that is the main way you hire prospective officials then you are not using the camp system are you?

Now I can say that just about every high school assignor I work for either runs their own camp or they are apart of some camp that they evaluate or look at propsective officials. Usually those officials are people they have never seen and do not work any lower level games for them during the season. But those that wish to work varsity and have never been seen by an assignor needs to be seen somewhere. Obviously, during the season there are more opportunities to see officials work games as there are plenty of opportunities to watch someone work, but most assignors are active officials and often have to go by what others say or have to be at the right game where they watch fellow officials work. I was also giving a perspective as a multiple sports official that has worked for years in systems where never do you have a camp to get hired. Basketball is the only sport that I can think of where there are multiple opportunities to work games in the off-season and those opportunities can be and have been used as a camp. Not every state has spring football or some off-season opportunity to evaluate talent in a live or semi-live situation. The opportunity we once had in Illinois was taken away with having games no-full contact practices and we never could see teams play each other in that capacity before anyway. Teams could only do that in an intrasquad situation and that was very limited in the first place. Even in baseball and softball, it is very rare to see camps in those settings because it seems that no one wants to run a game based off of training of officials the way we do in basketball. Maybe that should change but that is the way it seems to be now.

All I was asking for was solutions as to how this is changed? Because if the camp directors/organizers and administrators stop taking the pay for the games, how are they paying for all the expenses that would be to run any camp? Right, wrong or indifferent, those events cost money to either staff, hold meetings, or supplement the cost of the camp for materials or other things that campers might get when attending. How do you bring D1 officials from across multiple states and ask them to evaluate officials without compensating them personally in some way? I think that is a fair question and that was all this was about for me. Even a state clinician as I am, I am not coming out all day and spending time watching multiple officials during a day and not getting anything beneficial for my time. And it is standard to pay us something and often we are paid less than $100 over multiple days and even putting together the curriculum with our time outside of family and work so that we fit the standards of the state.

Peace