View Single Post
Old Wed May 20, 2020, 12:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
Fellow Officials! Many of us have registered for camps this offseason hoping to improve our skills, get exposure to assigners, and/or get hired at a higher level. Unfortunately, because of the COVID-19 pandemic, many camps have been postponed or cancelled. What do assigners do if their camps get cancelled?

I'm curious, because I'd like to know what will happen. I've registered for 2 teaching camps and 3 tryout camps. One tryout camp is cancelled, one teaching camp is cancelled, and the rest are undetermined. I've also been invited by one of my high school associations into an evaluation and promotion program, but I'm waiting on if that will actually happen. If camps don't happen, how do assigners assess new officials to hire them?
Camps are not necessary for hiring. Recommendations to a supervisor or that person or his designee observing the official elsewhere can suffice. Camps are simply a way for supervisors to make money and if it could be demonstrated that they are essentially a kickback to the person doing the hiring, then the system would be illegal under federal law.