View Single Post
Old Sat May 09, 2020, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Able is on third base and Baker is on second base with one out.
Daniel hits the ball on the ground to the shortstop, who scoops up the ball and tags Baker out.
When attempting to throw the ball to first base, the shortstop is interfered with by Baker.
At the time of the interference, Able has reached home plate and Daniel has reached 1st base.
Assume the throw was never completed, no play at 1st.

My opinion: Daniel reaching 1st before being out allows the run to count.

Questions:
1) Does the BR being out as “closest to home” occur simultaneously with the INT?
2) If so, since with a dead ball nothing happens, does that alter the run counting if INT occurs before the BR reaches 1st?
3) Does a BR being awarded 1st on the INT change the ruling?

Comment based on any rules, but please specify.
I've read several comments about the play by the shortstop and attempting a throw to first after the runner had reached. What if Daniels thought the ball had gone into the outfield and was rounding 1st. the SS was throwing behind Daniels in an attempt to get her returning to first base?

In my opinion, the run scores because the third out was made after the batter-runner reached first base.

The question on this that I saw was slightly different.

Same situation, but the interference occurs prior to Daniels reaching first base, but after Abel scored.

The ruling I recall is that the run does not score. The reasoning was that no run can score when the third out occurs prior to the batter-runner reaching first base.

What would confuse this even more is if Daniels had passed first base (but missed the base and it was properly appealed.