View Single Post
Old Sat Apr 04, 2020, 08:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

Please Release Me (Engelbert Humperdinck, 1967) …

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
After the 1997-98 rule change requiring players to remain out of the lane until a free throw hit the rim or backboard when it change back to on the release of the shot.
2014-15 NFHS BASKETBALL RULES CHANGES

Lane Players Can Release When Free Throw is Attempted in High School Basketball

Players in marked lane spaces will be able to move into the lane when the ball is released by the free-throw shooter beginning with the 2014-15 high school basketball season. Previously, players could not release until the ball touched the ring or backboard or until the free throw ended.

The committee noted that the current rule of players in marked lane spaces not releasing until the ball touches the ring or backboard creates two obstacles for officials: 1) attempting to watch the ball strike the ring or backboard while simultaneously attempting to observe if any players/free thrower violate the lane-line restrictions, and 2) insufficient time for the perimeter official(s) to obtain optimum angles on the players involved in rebounding a missed try.

“In recent years, we have moved players along the lane spaces up and removed excess players along the lane lines, so the rationale for changing this rule to its current status is no longer an issue,” said Theresia Wynns, NFHS director of sports and officials education and staff liaison to the NFHS Basketball Rules Committee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsonj72 View Post
And when did it change the first time. Thank you very much.
In my forty years of officiating basketball there have been so many changes involving release and hit that it makes my head spin.

Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. will be moseying along shortly to give us the history of the free throw back to ancient times.

Until then just sit back, relax, and enjoy some classic bubblegum pop music, Dizzy, by Tommy Roe (1969):

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Apr 04, 2020 at 12:12pm.