View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 03, 2020, 11:06am
Esteemed Forum Member

Exactly What Did I, Her Dad, Do Wrong ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Why did this go beyond you asking your daughter which she wanted to do and telling the coaches to respect her decision and back off?
I had already bought two lacrosse sticks for her to practice with me in the backyard, both of us were new to the game.

With absolutely no warning, all ("harsh words") that occurred happened during only one day at school. I didn't find out about it until that night at home. The principal and athletic director had both chastised the basketball coach for putting undue pressure ("You have a chance to start varsity next year as a sophomore.") on a student-athlete to play an off-season non-school sport.

That night she (100% her decision) decided on AAU spring basketball and told both coaches the next day at school. Meanwhile, her friends all had fun playing lacrosse, a new sport for almost all of them (as the BillyMac family paid the AAU fee and trudged all over the East coast playing basketball in noisy gyms while laying out big bucks for hotels).

I watched my niece play high school lacrosse. I'm not a fan. Girls aren't allowed to hit each other with sticks (this was twenty years ago, lacrosse was a new Connecticut high school sport, for both boys and girls, at the time) like the boys are. Boys lacrosse is more exciting to watch.

I was definitely on the fence regarding this issue, and left it up to my daughter.

Really didn't like her caught between two feuding coaches. Lacrosse coach was having number problems attracting girls (especially good athletes, the best athletes played softball, one of the top softball programs in the state) to the new sport; basketball coach wanted my daughter, once she decided not to continue to play softball, to get more basketball experience before the next season.

Athletic director and principal did the right thing, "Back off".

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Fri Apr 03, 2020 at 05:54pm.