View Single Post
Old Thu Apr 02, 2020, 11:38am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Keystone State ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
... continuing to postpone championships in basketball and swimming, rather than cancel them. It has likewise made no decision yet on canceling spring sports ... basketball in most classes, schools would still have three games to play in a fairly brief time frame.
Sounds overly optimistic, but good for them.

Good luck trying to convince the baseball coach to allow his home run hitting All State first baseman to spend several days in the gym because he's also the basketball team's tallest player, top rebounder, and top scorer. Same thing with the softball team's All State starting pitcher who is also the basketball team's point guard and leading scorer.

Coaching in my home town's school system and having three children that played high school sports, I can definitely state that coaches of various teams in a high school can be very territorial.

The lacrosse coach and the basketball coach fought over my daughter who wanted to play high school lacrosse, but was strongly "encouraged" by her high school basketball coach to play AAU basketball (both were spring sports). In my daughter's presence, harsh words were exchanged, and the issue made its way from the athletic director's office all the way up to the school principal's office.

The most famous fight at the high school was between a legendary football coach and an award winning marching band director over practice time on the football field. Interestingly, the football field is now named after said football coach.

And yes, marching band is a big deal, as is football, at my hometown high school. I always see the marching band kids in church wearing their marching band letterman jackets. Yes, they get a "varsity" letter for marching band.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Apr 02, 2020 at 01:47pm.