View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 28, 2020, 06:24pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
An airborne shooter is a player who has released the ball on a try for a goal or has tapped the ball and has not returned to the floor.

So in the casebook play it is automatically assumed that the ball has been released (definition of airborne shooter), so the basket will count. My scenario of the ball not being released was a moot point.

I learned that an airborne shooter doesn't begin with the shooter becoming airborne, but only begins when the shot is released by an "airborne shooter" (generic Funk & Wagnalls definition)

Thanks billyu2.

Since the ball has been released in the casebook play, continuous motion is also a moot point, but let's explore it anyway (the ball is clearly in flight).

The ball becomes dead, or remains dead when a foul, other than player-control or team-control, occurs. Exception: The ball does not become dead until the try or tap ends, or until the airborne shooter returns to the floor, when (a foul) occurs by any opponent of a player who has started a try or tap for goal (is in the act of shooting) before the foul occurred, provided time did not expire before the ball was in flight. The trying motion must be continuous and begins after the ball comes to rest in the player’s hand(s) on a try or touches the hand(s) on a tap, and is completed when the ball is clearly in flight. The trying motion may include arm, foot or body movements used by the player when throwing the ball at his/her basket.

Unless I'm missing something (so what else is new?), the ball becomes dead with a foul by the offense, and as I said, continuous motion wouldn't apply (even if the foul was before the release, which it wasn't).
You said you think and you believe and that you were hedging your bets. A veteran should not have to hedge their bets about the definition of continuous motion, especially a veteran of this forum.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk