View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 24, 2020, 10:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas Ref View Post
Thanks to you all for the kind guidance provided on this issue; furthermore, you'all have cited some other issues that I/we had not considered that pertain to the issue. However, I must say that in retrospect the cop who was there at the gym and did not even try to breakup the fight was terrible optics for law enforcement. Now after reading what you'all have written, perhaps the cop was wisely avoiding any "liability". But the optics were terrible: I mean there was a grown-azz man who is a cop and he could not even intervene with trying to separate two teen-agers from fighting?
I must admit that when I see [the security] cops at my games standing in the corner munching on popcorn and drinking coke, I cannot help but to feel like I'm fending for myself with no backup.
But hey, I digress, and am venting now--this all occurred about 6 weeks ago yet I still cannot let it go/get over it! After reading you'alls comments I now have a "path forward", thank you Forum!
Perhaps I'm wrong with my thinking, but I wouldn't expect (or necessarily want) a police officer to assist in breaking up a 1v1 fight. Now if something spills out (or in) where fans/parents are involved, I would expect involvement. However, for better or worse, a fight between players is part of the game and participants in the game should deal with it.

One other tool that has not been mentioned is the use of your whistle to try and get two players to stop before things escalate. There is nothing like a Fox 40 in your ear to get your attention.

Chris