View Single Post
Old Sat Mar 21, 2020, 10:42am
Esteemed Forum Member

Lots Of Billable Hours ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I think grabbing players and potentially letting an opponent get a "free shot" is a nightmare waiting to happen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
... to grab the wrong kid and someone punches them and now you are responsible for their injuries (yes we have had a lawyer who is an official state you could be liable for injuries).
True.

Happened here in my little corner of Connecticut (actually the high school has since moved over to another local IAABO board) about thirty-five years ago.

The details from long ago are a little fuzzy, even though the official in question (and one of the coaches involved) was a friend of mine. To stop a fight involving many players and coaches, the official grabbed a coach, who was throwing punches in a player/coach confrontation, which gave the player a "free shot" at the coach, breaking the coach's jaw.

The attorneys made a lot of money as this situation ended up in both criminal court and civil court for a few years.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)