View Single Post
Old Fri Mar 20, 2020, 12:46pm
Official Forum Member

Do Official's Duties Extend to Peacemaker?

A referee colleague and I were discussing officiating aspects yesterday. We pondered the issue of: If a fight actually breaks out in a game, do we refs have the responsibility to intervene and break it up?
We both have had games where near-fights and fights broke out, and, we both said that we intervened (i.e., stepped in between the players) to break it up--ignoring our own safety but upholding the sanctity / civility of the contest. I can recall one such event wherein I broke up a fight and was congratulated by a coach for doing so. Also, gym security did not intervene--the cop just stayed in the background not intervening at all.
However, we both agreed that if ever another occasion arose where a fight / near-fight happened, then we confirmed with each other that we would not intervene in the future. The reason is becz we feel that in this time of "liability / infections/ contagions" we would be placing ourselves at very high risk for injury / infection. We agreed that we'll just let the coaches and gym security be the "first responders".
Agreeably, most near-fights / fights are ''wanting to be broken up" before they escalate; however, in the future I will not be the one doing so. I could not find in the manual that the Official's Duties included such, have you encountered a similar event?