View Single Post
Old Tue Mar 10, 2020, 10:44am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Legend Of Reporting To The Press Table ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
... to play "gotcha" at higher-level officials would be deleted ... without an opinion about how we could learn from it.
My post, The Legend Of The Girl's Ball In A Guy's Game, was posted with great respect for my unfortunate late colleague. After the incident he officiated several more state finals, was a mentor to many officials, including myself, and was still considered one of our best officials. But we all loved "yanking his chain" for his one unfortunate indiscretion.

And there is a lesson to be learned from this thread, take a close look at the ball before the game starts, maybe it's got a blemish on the surface, is under/over inflated, or is for a different gender, etc.

Forty years ago my local board donated its services to a high school basketball tournament that benefited scholarships. It was held in (at the time) the Hartford Civic Center (NHL Whalers hockey, NBA Celtics preseason, NCAA UCONN men and women basketball). For most of us it was our first game in such a large, expansive, bright facility, almost a little imposing, perhaps even a little intimidating.

First game at the site, one of our highly respected officials went to report the first foul of the game and he reported it to the press table, on the side of the court opposite the scorer's table. We had a large contingent of officials in the stands and we were all on the floor laughing our heads off. And thus began the legend of "Reporting To The Press Table". After the incident he officiated several more state finals, was a mentor to many officials, including myself, and was still considered one of our best officials. But we all loved "yanking his chain" for his one unfortunate indiscretion.

He retired from officiating many, many years ago. Saw him at a wake a few weeks ago and we talked about the legend and he laughed about it, and seemed to be pleased that we all still remember him.

It's not mean spirited, it's all about camaraderie and respect (and don't let it happen to you).

I don't "yank the chain" of officials that I don't respect. Probably true for many of us.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Mar 10, 2020 at 11:06am.