View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 05, 2020, 04:38pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
There is an NCAA-Men's case play that defines the beginning of the shooting motion. It is more restrictive than NFHS, I don't know what the NCAA-W's language is:

Act of Shooting
A.R. 120.
A1 is dribbling the ball and attempts to turn the corner at the top of the key to drive down the lane. B1 fouls A1 as A1 picks up his dribble. A1 then
steps with his right foot and then pushes off with his left foot before beginning to raise his arm(s) or hand(s) to release the ball for a layup. The try is successful.

RULING: The foul occurred before the act of shooting began. Therefore, the goal should not count. Charge B1 with a personal foul and shoot
appropriate free throws if Team A is in the bonus. The language of 5-1.10, “The try starts when the player begins the motion
that normally precedes the release of the ball,” refers to the hand(s) or arm(s) in preparing to release the ball on a try for goal. Examples of the act
of shooting motion include raising the ball with the hand(s) and or arm(s) to shoot a layup or jump shot or the downward motion of the hand(s) or
arm(s) in completing a dunk or alley-oop play. This act of shooting motion does not include picking up the dribble, catching (gathering) the ball, or
advancing on the court with one or both feet. (Rule 5-1.10 and 4-8.1)

I do not like the wording of NCAA Men's AR 120. For well over 60 years in NFHS, NCAA Men's, and NCAA Women's, a Dribbler must end his/her Dribble before the Act of Shooting can begin: In other words if the Offensive Player is Dribbling he/she cannot be in the Act of Shooting. Only once the Dribble ends can the Act of Shooting begin and that applies across the board for NFHS, NCAA Men's, and NCAA Women's.

Getting back to AR 120, I immediately interpreted the Player to not have yet ended his Dribble when he was fouled. I would prefer that AR's and CB Play's be written using the language of the Rules do describe the Situation and stop using "coach and talking head speak".

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio