View Single Post
Old Thu Mar 05, 2020, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

You are correct that the numbers on the clock do not mesh with the LED lights on the backboard and the horn.

Your first link shows a video from the side of the court which clearly shows the ball in flight prior to the red lights coming on and the horn sounding. The quality is not sharp enough to show the numbers on the clock though, so this one can’t inform us if the clock started properly on the catch.

However, from the video posted along with the news broadcast story in your second link, I was able to determine three things as the game clock on the side of the arena is clearly visible above the players involved in the try: (1.) the clock started properly when the inbounds player caught the ball. I was able to freeze the video with the player still coming down, the ball in his hands, and 0.5 on the clock. (2.) the ball is still in his hands when this clock reaches 0.0 as I was again able to pause the video at such a frame after he elevated to try for goal. (3.) the horn sounds after the ball is released on the video and I cannot see the LED lights on the backboard as they are out of the picture from this angle.

This play is SUPER close! Without video review it is not possible to know with certainty, but the losing team certainly did not get screwed. Nothing egregious here.

With video review, this has to ruled a good 3-point basket as the first video shows no timing error occurred and the second confirms that the release preceded the light coming on. It is unfortunate that the numbers on the clock don’t mesh with the lights and horn.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Thu Mar 05, 2020 at 02:28pm.