View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 25, 2020, 11:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

Different Strokes For Different Folks (Sly And The Family Stone, 1968) … ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
Which why I always avoid conversations about what rule used to be or what a rule should be. I focus only on what it is so that I or the crew do not get confused with irrelevant information. And I most definitely don't want newer officials getting bombarded with discussions about old rules that do not apply.
I can certainly understand that well thought out point, especially the last sentence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
... he was brand new, so it was the only interpretation he knew of ...
I wish that I had a delete button for some of the stuff in my brain, but unfortunately I don't.

As a retired thirty-plus year middle school science teacher, I know that different people have different learning, and memorizing, styles.

For me, I need to understand something in its entirety to successfully memorize it. I'm also a visual and kinesthetic/tactile learner.

My girlfriend and I used to study together while in college. She would memorize information for a test, not really understanding what she was memorizing, and she would do so by verbally repeating (she was an auditory learner, drove me crazy) said information. How successful was she? Summa Cum Laude.

I would only (and still today) be able to memorize information if I understand it in its entirety. Why? How? Reason? As a visual/kinesthetic/tactile learner, I wouldn't verbalize information to be memorized, I would rewrite the information in the margins of my notebooks, or textbooks.

Same with basketball rules and rule changes. Why the rule? Why the change? History of the rule and any changes over the years? And every time I type and post something on the Forum it's a way that I can better learn a rule or an interpretation.

May not work for anybody else (certainly not for my girlfriend, who would become my ex-wife), but it works for me.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Feb 26, 2020 at 01:47pm.