View Single Post
Old Tue Feb 18, 2020, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Caveat: IMHO

Play #1: BR is out for interference. This is a call for the PU trailing up the line. (Yes, I know what the guidance is, but I respectfully and firmly disagree in this instance)

NCAA 12.5.5 - The batter-runner is out: when either of her feet is completely outside the runner's lane, in contact with the ground, and, in the judgment of the umpire, she interferes with the fielder taking the throw. Exceptions: She may run outside the runner's lane: (1) if she has not yet reached the start of the runner's lane; (2) to avoid a fielder attempting to field a batted ball; or (3) if she leaves the lane on her last stride in order to touch first base.

This BR interferes with the fielder. She never ran in the runner's lane. Therefore, she is ineligible for exit protection on her last stride. (See also: Holbrook; 2019 MLB World Series) None of the listed exceptions apply. IMHO, this is an INT out. The concept of a "base path" is not applicable here; there is no tag nor deviation in her line to the base.

Play #2: This is nothing but an ugly foul ball.

NCAA 12.17.2.1.5 - Physical contact by the runner with a fielder attempting to field a fair batted ball shall be interference, provided the fielder had a reasonable chance to make a play.

The ball is behind R3 at the time of contact with F2. Even if R3 becomes non-corporeal and goes 'poof' at the moment of contact, F2 cannot make a play on R3, nor is a throw to 1B going to reasonably make an out. With the benefit of paused video and slo-mo, we can see that F2 has given up on the play prior to contact. If this stays fair, it's gonna be ugly, but this is OBS on F2.

Again: IMO!