View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 15, 2020, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Batter bunts the ball down, into the soft powder, up in the front corner of the BB, where it comes to a stop (completely in the box, completely in fair territory).

After hesitating, batter realizes its a fair ball, takes off, and comes in contact with the ball (both feet completely in the box).

Has she not contacted a fair batted ball, and (possibly) interfered with the defense's chance of making an out?

NCAA is the only one I'm aware of that states in B&W that if a foot is in the box, it is a foul ball. Which is weird, because it's a fair ball.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Isn't that the same as a batted/bunted ball that bounces up and hits the batter while in the box? A foul ball by rule, regardless of geography.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
I dont think so... it's laying stationary in fair territory...if the batter doesn't bump it on the way to 1B, it's a fair ball that can be fielded by F2 to fire wherever; if the batter does bump it, it's declared foul.
No biggie... I'll rule as the book tells me to, without reservation.
No, not at all, according to USA Softball or NFHS.

A batted ball that hits the batter while in the box is a foul ball. Emphasis on batted ball hits batter. USA references "Foul Ball (F)" and 7.4-J. NFHS references 2-25-1-f and 7-2-1-f.

A fair batted ball that the batter-runner makes contact with is an out, without any stated exception for the batter's box. Emphasis on batter-runner contacts the ball. USA 8.4-F(4), NFHS 8-2-7. In each case, as suggested by jmkupka, that contact is interference with a fair batted ball that could be played if it weren't contacted illegally.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Sat Feb 15, 2020 at 10:25pm.