View Single Post
Old Sat Feb 15, 2020, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
Wouldn't it be fair to consider that, once the batter has advanced, even partially, out of the batter's box, that "contacts a fair batted ball" is the more appropriate rule to cite than "batted ball bounces up and hits"?
Well, that was the mindset I was using when debating this originally! I didn't have my book at the time. A handful of local guys were enjoying some beverages when this came up. Let me know if I've overdone the Rulebook Lawyer on this.

NCAA 11.5.1.1 states that it is a foul ball if the batter is hit (without intent to contact) with a batted ball while IN the box. 11.21.7 declares the runner out when a batted ball hits the runner when she is OUT of the box, and the ball is fair. That's almost verbatim from the rule. None of that was up for debate the other night.

I was claiming that in NCAA the batter is, by Rule 2.20.1, OUT of the box is any part of the foot extends beyond the line, as she is not "within" the space of the batter's box. (consistent with 11.15.1, the rule applicable to the moment of bat-ball contact) Thus, the batter who has taken a half step after her swing, with half a foot over the line and the other entire foot within the box, and is hit by the batted ball....is out by 11.21.7.

This was not a popular opinion around the watering hole.

Last edited by teebob21; Sat Feb 15, 2020 at 01:05am.