View Single Post
Old Sun Feb 09, 2020, 09:38am
Official Forum Member

Three D1 Refs Suing NCAA & Alliance Affiliated Leagues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
No surprise at all that older officials are getting squeezed out of the Alliance. I predicted that a long time ago when the Alliance started. A lot of us have complained over the years about older officials holding onto schedules as their abilities have diminished. So we can't be mad that's being addressed.
I noticed one commissioner was prominently highlighted by the plaintiffs. Would seem that that individual did not care about such complaints until the NCAA began to force his hand.

I heard him speak at camps a few times over the years. To be honest I didn’t care for his approach and demeanor regarding advancement. I thought it was a little antiquated. In retrospect, seems like it was a little protectionist, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
The one thing that has definitely changed is that older officials will never get an opportunity to break into D1 anymore. I started officiating at the age of 37, got hired into D3 at 44, my one mid-major D1 at 45, and D2 at 50. That's not going to happen anymore, at least not in the Mid-Atlantic or Southeast.

I agree and this is something I have reluctantly come to accept. The geographic instability of my Navy career has always kept me from establishing “camp roots” in any one area. I had hoped to follow in your shoes after I retire in a few years, but that looks doubtful now. On the bright side, I’ll probably save thousands of dollars on camps I’ll choose not to attend now for the dead ends that they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by crosscountry55; Sun Feb 09, 2020 at 11:02am.