View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 03, 2020, 02:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
That tells you exactly why the coach ran this play. He’s looking for cheap points, or at least to stir up controversy with your crew. I really dislike those kinds of coaches.

You answered your own question before you even asked it...

If the reach across was after the ball is released, there’s nothing but an ordinary OOB violation here. I don’t have my casebook with me but I believe this is a little different on a non-DSTI situation, provided the pass from one teammate to another is not the actual pass “directly into the court.” In this case, it’s a DOG warning, but not a T because the ball has to be in a thrower’s possession for the T to apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
He was absolutely looking for cheap points -- he was down 5 at about a minute to play when he had his team run it. The crew on the game did have video and this team knew exactly what they were doing (or appeared to by they way the new to line up quickly in an odd formation for a throw in).

Problem was that no one could find casebook scenario for this situation. So it is currently being left to everyone to make there own decision on it. Some were quick to jump on the Tech Foul side, while many (myself included) say that this is just another spot throw in at the new spot.

Very interesting that at the NCAA level it has to be "in" to be touched and is delineated in the rules, while not really even discussed in NFHS ruleset.