View Single Post
Old Mon Feb 03, 2020, 01:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosscountry55 View Post
That tells you exactly why the coach ran this play. He’s looking for cheap points, or at least to stir up controversy with your crew. I really dislike those kinds of coaches.

You answered your own question before you even asked it...

If the reach across was after the ball is released, there’s nothing but an ordinary OOB violation here. I don’t have my casebook with me but I believe this is a little different on a non-DSTI situation, provided the pass from one teammate to another is not the actual pass “directly into the court.” In this case, it’s a DOG warning, but not a T because the ball has to be in a thrower’s possession for the T to apply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The play described in the OP is simply a throw-in pass which is deflected out of bounds in an NFHS game. Curiously, the NCAA rule is different and the defender must wait for the passed ball to break the boundary plane before touching it!

The situation in which the team may run the end line is different. In that case, a pass to another teammate behind the boundary plane is not the throw-in pass and therefore the defender is subject to a technical foul for breaking the plane and contacting the ball. The case play does specify that it is both a delay warning and a T.