View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 03:04am
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs down

quote:
Originally posted by b_silliman on 12-22-1999 12:55 AM
Have you ever seen a player get hammered on a rebound and lose the ball out of bounds. Yet the official gives the ball to the team which lost it out of bounds. The official passed on the contact, but when the ball went out of bounds he made a 'judgement' that there should have been a foul, so gives the ball back to the team which lost it.

I've used this technique in hight school and after explaining it to a coach he understood what my call was. Not all will but most will realize why you did it.

I agree with virtually everything you said in your original post except this part. Every clinic I have ever been to has made it a point not to make this call. If there is enough contact for a foul - call it. If not, then call the correct OOB.

What you are describing is really the same as the former NBA "force out" rule. After realizing their refs were using it as a cop-out, they eliminated the rule.

I don't think I could ever go to a coach and tell him that I decided to give the ball OOB to the "wrong" team just because I either had a brain cramp on calling the foul or decided it was "kinda, sorta a foul, maybe, perhaps, but not really."

I know my language might sound like I'm coming down a little hard on you but that's not my intent. My point is that many of us (I'm sure this includes you) have spent a lot of time working with young officials trying to help them. I think the best way we can help them is, as you say, learn advantage/disadvantage, but I just don't think this is one of those times.

BTW - I see in your profile you are in Las Vegas. I used to live there and was just there for Comdex. I still love that town.