View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 20, 2020, 04:20pm
Official Forum Member

What options does a coach have?

Three errors on team-control fouls (well, two errors and a near-error), two different nights. What options does a coach have to get a crew to stop for a second and think things through?

1. A1 has the ball in the backcourt in transition. A2 fouls B3 in the backcourt. Officials line up for a 1-and-1. Coach A gets T's attention and says "Team control" while a couple of assistants give the player-control signal with their hand behind their head. T looks at the bench briefly then goes back to watching the free throws. B3 makes both free throws. Coach A says something to T (now L) again as they come up the floor. He blows the whistle and says "Yes, we're going to talk about it." In the end, they wipe off the free throws and give the ball to B at the designated spot nearest the foul.

The next week:
2. Near the end of the half, A11 fouls B12 while trying to get an offensive rebound. The table signals the 1-and-1 and the official shakes them off. The bench asks for the 1-and-1 and he's told it doesn't apply. They continue with the throw in and the half ends a minute later with a couple baskets made in the meantime. The officials meet at midcourt and have an extended discussion, then go over to the scorer and continue their discussion with her. I wasn't privy, but I got to believe they realized their mistake now that it was too late.

And I believe this because:
3. In 4Q, B23 fouls A24 away from the ball on the offensive end (Team B had control). The non-calling officials walk down to the other end with the ball and start to line up for free throws. The calling official (who was the one who shook off the 1-and-1 in the first half) starts to join them, but then realizes his mistake and clearly says to Coach B "This was definitely a team control foul" and brings the ball back for a throw-in.

So what can a coach do if he knows a mistake is being made, especially on something like free throws to get the crew to slow down and think about things? I put a few search terms in the NFHS online rulebook to see if he could call a time-out for a rules review like in football, and I don't see it.