View Single Post
Old Mon Jan 13, 2020, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Sensory overload...

My partner and I recently officiated a varsity girls game; in our pre-game we in fact did mention the "bunny-hop" "gather-step" / "micro-hop step" that female players frequently do prior to releasing their jump-shot/set-shot. I recall that we adamantly vowed to each other that we would call these ''travels" bcz we felt we were doing the players' skill development a dis-service if we kicked these predictable calls. Imagine that! [viz: "caring about the kids"].

Well so, the game tips off and we both nail both teams for travel calls after about 3 or 4 possessions--maybe twice on each team for doing the bunny-hop; however, neither team seemed to adjust their foot actions and the players continued to do the "mini bunny hop" when shooting set shots. Then a funny thing happened, as the 1st half progressed we noticed that we "passed" on calling this violation. Even when it was noticeably a bunny-hop violation.

At half-time we spoke about the fact that we had "let slide" a few travels; moreover, neither coach complained. We agreed to enforce the bunny hop travel in second half; however, we noticed that after one or two times of calling it, then we still let it slide on subsequent possessions.

I say all of this to propose that "sensory overload" coupled to our "prejudiced expectation that female players will do this action and it should be excused or else you'll have a very, very choppy game flow" contributed to our reluctance to keep calling this violation---we had seen it sooo much that our eyes became sensitized to it. Additionally, since neither coach seemed to mind if we called it or not--then there was no real "impetus" to put a whistle on it.