View Single Post
Old Sat Jan 11, 2020, 10:36am
Esteemed Forum Member

Why Not ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Bunny Hop isn't called in this state at any level.

By official interpretation (by interpreters, assigners, evaluators, trainers, camp clinicians, trained observers, etc.)?

Is this how your rookies are trained?

Is this how you answer questions on written exams?

Or by younger officials who have observed veteran officials who have observed older veteran officials, etc., making the same call incorrectly over and over and over again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
... gives them no advantage.
If it didn't give an advantage, they wouldn't do it.

The extra step allows the shooter to get his timing and balance down and allows him to more comfortably make the shot.

Maybe the shooter believes that the closer (even a little) one is to the basket, the higher one's shooting percentage is going to be.

Maybe the shooter believes that the extra forward momentum gives a little more distance to his shot, making it easier to reach the basket?

These are all advantages that are definitely not intended by rule.

Maybe he expected to release the ball before he landed and made a mistake, creating a violation?

Maybe he mistakenly thought he caught the ball while airborne, creating a violation?

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Now could somebody please help me down from this soapbox, I'm getting dizzy up here.

And of course, as usual for any basketball rules interpretation, mechanic, etc., when in Rome (or Salt Lake City) ...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Jan 11, 2020 at 02:48pm.