Thread: rule question
View Single Post
Old Thu Jan 09, 2020, 12:34pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Holding The Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
In Bucky's scenario, he has already traveled. Lifted and replanted the pivot foot while in player control.
Travelling doesn't involve player control, it involves holding the ball.

Traveling is moving a foot or feet in any direction in excess of prescribed
limits while holding the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
A1 dribbles and then holds the ball, establishing his right foot as the pivot foot. A1 then places the ball on the floor with his right hand never losing contact with the ball. A1 then pushes the ball in a controlled fashion, along the floor for ten feet, taking several full steps, and then picks up the ball.
In bucky's scenario when did the player both hold the ball and move his pivot at the same time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond View Post
I'll try to find something to back me up later.
With one rare exception, a player must be holding the ball to travel.

Was this is the back of your mind?

4.44.5 SITUATION B: A1 dives for a loose ball and slides after gaining control. A1 is in a position either on his/her back or stomach. What can A1 do without violating? RULING: A1 may pass, shoot, start a dribble or request a time-out. Once A1 has the ball and is no longer sliding, he/she may not roll over. If flat on his/her back, A1 may sit up without violating. Any attempt to get to the feet is traveling unless A1 is dribbling. It is also traveling if A1 puts the ball on the floor, then rises and is first to touch the ball. (4-44-5b)

Or was it this:

After coming to a stop and establishing a pivot foot:
a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the floor, before the
ball is released on a pass or try for goal.

And this:

A fumble is the accidental loss of player control when the ball
unintentionally drops or slips from a player’s grasp.

In bucky's case the ball on the floor was not a result of an unintentional accidental fumble, rather it appears to have been a deliberate act.

Not ruling this a fumble creates an interesting option.

Could this be traveling?

Great thread.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Jan 09, 2020 at 01:11pm.