Thread: rule question
View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 08, 2020, 06:56pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pivot Feet ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
A1 dribbles and then holds the ball, establishing his right foot as the pivot foot. A1 then places the ball on the floor with his right hand never losing contact with the ball. A1 then pushes the ball in a controlled fashion, along the floor for ten feet, taking several full steps, and then picks up the ball. This would be legal based on this thread and everyone's opinion about the rules. This would also be a case whereby a pivot foot could be moved from one spot on the floor to another and there is no traveling violation.
Of course he can, he not holding the ball. He can move his pivot feet all over the court as long as he's not holding the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucky View Post
Now, once A1 picks up the ball, could A1 pivot on his left foot? Ruling?
Good question. We all know that a player can always legally pick up a fumble, but what can he do once he picks up the ball? In bucky's example we know that he can't start a new dribble. But can he pivot? There are situations (jump stops) where neither foot can be a pivot foot, but I don't believe that this example is a jump stop, so I would guess that he probably could pivot.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 08, 2020 at 06:59pm.