View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 30, 2019, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Official View Post
I have a better idea than your solution in search of a problem.

Let’s stop calling for rule changes to appease the ill-informed mob every time there is a correctly officiated, albeit impactful, play that occurs.

You can change rules til the cows come home and people will still want their pound of flesh and find things to complain about.

The targeting rule was designed to get rid of hits exactly like the one that occurred last night and is working as intended according to all persons who actually matter.
I don't agree that allowing some discretion to distinguish non-flagrant fouls when there's no aggravating factor is appeasing any mob. Both the NFL and HS allow that, I don't agree with the one-size, zero tolerance approach in NCAA.

Saturday showed both extremes. The call in OK-LSU was blatant, flagrant, and a perfect example of what should result in ejection. On the same day, the OSU call was the other end of the spectrum - a player attempting to wrap, with a low strike zone until the QB lowered his level, that yes, at the moment of tackle used his crown. To treat both of these with the same extreme penalty is ludicrous IMO. If there's even a single aggravating factor like launch, thrust, etc. then replay should enforce an ejection, but that's too big of a penalty for non-flagrant, technical violations. Penalty, sure, 2 in a game, ejection, but a 2 level structure like HS is a very reasonable argument (and proposed multiple times by the B1G and ACC over the years, among others) and not 'appeasing any mob'.