View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 23, 2019, 10:49am
Esteemed Forum Member

Exact Time ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indianaref View Post
Whether this still applies or not? ... 2004-05 NFHS Basketball Rules Interpretations ... By interpretation, “lag or reaction” time is limited to one second when the official’s signal is heard and/or seen clearly. The rules do not permit the referee to correct situations resulting in normal reaction time of the timer which results in a “lag” in stopping the clock. (5-10-1)
"Lag time" ended in 2006-07, when "exact time" was added to the rule.

5-10-1:The referee may correct an obvious mistake by the timer to
start or stop the clock properly only when he/she has definite information
relative to the time involved. The exact time observed by the official may
be placed on the clock.

COMMENTS ON THE 2006-07 RULES REVISIONS

LAG TIME ELIMINATED (5-10-1): This change eliminates the need for lag time or reaction time on the part of the clock operator. The referee may put the exact time observed by an official back on the game clock. The committee felt that with new clock technology and the ability to observe tenths of a second, when an official has definite knowledge relative to the time involved, he/she should have the ability to put the correct time on the game clock.

Can anybody cite the old "lag time" rule and/or interpretation, I can't find it, other than to cite its elimination?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Dec 23, 2019 at 10:54am.