View Single Post
Old Fri Dec 20, 2019, 03:58pm
Stubborn Member

End of Game Timing Situation

I had this happen a couple of weeks ago...

Team B is up 2 points and his shooting the first of a bonus free throw with 1.1 seconds on the clock. Team A's coach tells my partner that he wants a time out immediately, should his team get the rebound off a miss. B1 misses the free throw, and sure enough A1 gets the rebound and my partner blows his whistle for the timeout.

I look at the clock and it's down to .1 seconds, and of course, Team A's coach is not happy about it. At first, we aren't going to change the clock since none of us have definite knowledge of how much time should be left on it, even though it's obvious that there's no way a whole second should have come off. But we decide to get together and talk about it, and ultimately decide that we should put some time back on the clock, as... like I said... no way did a whole second go by between when the player from Team A secured the rebound and my partner blew his whistle for the timeout. My partner, who is the R, decides to have them set the clock at .8 seconds.

Turns out Team A threw a pass all the way to the three-point arc, and the guy made a turn-around three at the buzzer to win it for Team A.

I'm fine with our decision, although I thought we probably should have put something like .6 seconds on the clock instead. But the rules don't support our decision because, like I said, we didn't have definite knowledge of the time.

What do you all think?