View Single Post
Old Fri Sep 19, 2003, 09:14am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
Quote:
Originally posted by APHP
"Sports officials are the worst critics of other sports officials. It is a damned shame, but there it is.
There it is? Why? B/c some writer says it? First of all, I'm not really sure that's true. Yes, officials often critique minute details that non-officials never notice. And yes, officials are notorious for using rating systems for biased reasons. But does that make us the "worst critics of other sports officials"? Hardly. Fans and coaches engage in personal attacks and virtiol that are sometimes truly despicable. I agree that officials scrutinize each call and are willing to tell another official that s/he blew the call; but we don't do that any more than fans, coaches, or media members. Every time a survey is done asking why officials stop officiating, the answers are about the fans and coaches. I don't ever remember the #1 reason in such a poll being, "My brother officials were overly critical of me!"

Quote:
There is so much of that kind of criticism around, there are times you feel ashamed to be part of the profession".
Second of all, even if the above is true, why did you post it in this thread?