View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 22, 1999, 01:55am
Official Forum Member

Todd,

It seems to me that you want everything written out for you. This will never happen as there are so many different situations or 'what ifs', that to put them into a book would produce a volume of text so large to drive away new and old officials alike.

After you have mastered what is written in the rules and casebooks, it is your responsibility to develop your own feeling about 'advantage/disadvantage', 'the Tower Principle', etc. This is what distinguishes the good official from the average one.

It will only come with the experiences you have while officiaiting and while watching other more experience officials work ballgames. If you watch college basketball and the officials not the game, then you can see these type of decisions being made on a continuous basis throughout most ballgames.

Have you ever seen a player get hammered on a rebound and lose the ball out of bounds. Yet the official gives the ball to the team which lost it out of bounds. The official passed on the contact, but when the ball went out of bounds he made a 'judgement' that there should have been a foul, so gives the ball back to the team which lost it.

I've used this technique in hight school and after explaining it to a coach he understood what my call was. Not all will but most will realize why you did it.