View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 11, 2019, 11:12am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
In my area, I'd estimate that 95% of the high school pitchers that I've observed tend to start with both feet in contact with the pitcher's plate. I think they've learned it that way so they'd be legal for either NFHS or USA Softball.
In my neck, those pitchers who do start with a foot behind the plate and/or take a step back during their delivery are few and far between as well. Typically, the smaller schools that have a hard time fielding teams will have pitchers that do all kinds of weird stuff to pitch.

Quote:
Every once in a while with a HS pitcher who starts with only 1 foot on the plate, a coach will ask about it, thinking it's illegal.
Not much of a HS coach if you ask me. They should know better.

Quote:
As I've stated before, I only work the 2 sanctions. Consistency between/among the various alphabets would be most helpful. We have some guys that do college ball and try to bring some of those rules to the HS game.
And those umpires should know better as well! Geez...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker