View Single Post
Old Wed Dec 11, 2019, 10:22am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
USA still only has a download available to phones, correct?
Yes, at least that was the case for 2019, and they probably will do the same thing in 2020. It isn't really a PDF version of the actual rule book, like they did with the Umpire Manual. It's just a searchable app (and I've read that the search feature isn't very efficient since it won't search all chapters of the book).

That said, I truly don't understand the rationale behind requiring registered umpires to pay for the downloadable app. They already make us pay ridiculous amounts of money for their logoed shirts, hats, jackets and ball bags. I know it's "only" $14.99 for the app, but it's the principle that frustrates me. We get nickeled and dimed to register and go through a background check already. Do we really need to throw another $15 a year for a tool that other organizations (e.g., NFHS) provide as part of the registration fee?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker