View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 10, 2019, 12:05pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, I'm looking at it differently. IMO, it was an act meant to make the game easier for more people to play.

Not better, not more competitive, not more impressive, just easier. As previously noted, just my opinion.
That's always been the party line at NFHS when asked why they allow it, and it made sense to me. There are quite a few high schools where decent softball pitchers are at a premium, and any little help the rules can provide to allow for more players to get the ball into the strike zone is a plus for those teams.

It always makes me shake my head when someone argues NFHS isn't preparing pitchers for college ball by allowing them to step back. Well, for one, NFHS has never been touted as a feeder program for NCAA ball. And, two, those high school pitchers who are aspiring to play in college aren't being forced to take a step back. It's simply an option for those girls who prefer to pitch that way.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker