View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 09, 2019, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Okay, maybe it's just me, but it sounds like you're providing conflicting arguments. And USA admits in their press release that this rule change was made to align both the male and female pitching rule.

Whatever the real reason, I was okay with the first rule change that allows the pitcher to set up for the signal with the non-pivot foot on or behind the plate. It does bring USA in line with NFHS, NCAA (which also changed to this for next year) and WBSC. I like the consistency. But then to throw in the step-back to align only with NFHS (I doubt NCAA or WBSC will ever allow that) just seems like, well, a step back (no pun intended) in their thinking.

Claiming that they did it to align male and female play is not a compelling enough argument for me. If that's their rationale, they should've just gone all in and allow leaping as well, in my opinion.
Be careful how you quote. What I said is not conflicting. One, the person who proposed this rule change was (IMO) not thinking about men's FP. It was more "the others are doing it, so let's not be the odd one out." That's my first statement.

My second statement pretty much backs up the the USA Rationale but is separate than the first statement, because it has to do what you mentioned: why allow the step back (prior, during or after the hands come together) like NFHS but not like NCAA/WBSC? (My statement): because the rule already existed and IF making this change, not to have two different preliminaries; (USA - paraphrasing): with the rule change, there is alignment with male/female preliminaries. The change makes then alignment, but was not the reason for the change. If I were a chemist (I am not), I would say that alignment of the genders was not the catalysis; I would said that a) proposed change --> b) what should we allow JO/females to do? --> c) we already have a rule, so lets make them the same. Ergo, the rules now align.

As for allowing leaping -- My opinion (and my opinion only): I'm sure it was discussed, as it was in NCAA (I did see the proposals in NCAA). I think baby steps, one change at a time. There are a lot of traditionalists, and change is sometimes hard. Something big creates change, and I am on the front end of two big men's changes:
1. 2003, men were not allowed to leap. I got, ahem, "corrected" at my first men's national. 2004 rule change allowed men to leap.
2. 2017 WBSC men's championship: both feet had to be on the PP to start. Because of that tournament, the rule was changed in 2018.
Both of these were due to the PLAYERS initiating the rule changes. JO really doesn't have that, because the players really don't have that much say. That's more of a coach thing, and they propose things like EP's and OFFO's (offense only, which is used at the JO cup).

I think we will see leaping allowed at the NCAA level in 2022 and NFHS/USA either in 2021 or 2022. I would take odds, but that would be a conflict of interest.