View Single Post
Old Tue Dec 03, 2019, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Slapping the Backboard: Historical Inquiry

NFHS 10-4-4b is currently written to basically penalize with a technical foul what would be considered basket interference in the NCAA. The exception would be a legitimate attempt to block a shot resulting in incidental backboard contact; in NFHS this would be nothing, while in the NCAA it could still result in BI regardless of intent.

Sometime around 2008, slapping the backboard had become an epidemic, and the NFHS responded with technical foul language that said “slapping the backboard to draw attention to one’s self” was a TF. I noticed this language is no longer there, replaced with the new 10-4-4b language that looks a lot like the collegiate BI rule yet isn’t actually BI. My question for the attic archivists on this forum is, when did this change, and was there any pre-season guide or interp guidance that came along with it?

I still have trouble convincing peers (even my local rules interpreter) that calling BI for a backboard slap has no rules coverage in NFHS. I’m hoping a better understanding of the evolution of 10-4-4b will help me make my case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk