View Single Post
Old Sun Dec 01, 2019, 11:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I feel like he was really far out on the court away from the sideline. If he stays wider he probably doesn't get hit by the player stealing the pass. Maybe that's just me.
That’s my opinion as well. I believe that he should run diagonally towards the bench in order to reach an area near the sideline from which he could observe the action. Unfortunately, he doesn’t have quality mobility at his age and did what most officials who are older and slower do, start up court earlier and take the most direct path. This resulted in a disaster.

Secondly, there is the matter of resuming the game incorrectly.
Randy McCall has worked a couple of recent Final Fours. Dave Hall has been around forever and does about 120 D1 games each season. For them to kick the POI rule is totally inexcusable. There was no way to use the AP arrow in this situation. The restart is governed by POI. Either St. Mary’s had obtained control of the ball prior to the stoppage and thus should be awarded a throw-in or the ball was still loose, but last in control of the Utah State player who crashed into the official, and therefore, Utah State would be awarded a throw-in based upon POI. The AP arrow has nothing to do with this.