View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 25, 2019, 01:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
What you were told is merely the opinion of someone who feels that the coach needs to be penalized for disobeying the pregame instruction of the referee. There are going to be several people who agree with that opinion.

On the other side is the opinion that preventing the player from participating is the penalty and that the officiating crew should have been more diligent in noticing the team member check-in as a substitute and simply prevented the entry if he/she is not in compliance. I’m in that category. I’m constantly shocked by the lack of attention that officials give to the substitution process. I always look for jewelry or illegal apparel when beckoning the substitutes, but am well-aware that the vast majority of HS officials do not. They just mindlessly wave them in.

One can prevent all of the scenarios involving “a kid was participating with such and such yet none of the officials noticed” by paying attention to times when players enter the game.
I agree that there should be no "penalty". The penalty is as Nevada says; the player can't play. There is nothing in either the rulebook or casebook that even suggests there should be a T for this situation.