View Single Post
Old Wed Nov 20, 2019, 10:44pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

My area has an ABA team that appears to have operated each of the past few years -- which is impressive since many other ABA teams founded in this area don't seem to last long. I briefly browsed the first few minutes of some of the team's games on YouTube ranging from 2016 through Spring of this year. The quality of play seemed on par with what i saw in a summer Pro-Am league before I officiated.

The one thing that surprised me most was each of this team's home games only had two officials. I have no idea if that was by choice of if the pool of interested/available officials here is low, but it was still odd to see because a game of this level with a lot of physicality pretty much needs 3 officials to keep things in control -- especially since a crew of two, no matter how skilled, simply can't see and monitor everything that goes on off-ball.

Also, none of the officials I saw in the home game clips seemed familiar. While I don't know all the officials in the area, I do know a number that work higher levels and none of them appeared to be officiating these games. There has to be a reason for that.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball

Last edited by Stat-Man; Thu Nov 21, 2019 at 12:34am. Reason: Add additional comment and correct A typo