View Single Post
Old Sun Jan 07, 2001, 09:42am
Official Forum Member

Well written, Rich. I question, however, how many coaches really would pass the "premise" of the post. That premise being, that they, the coaches, know the rules. Many know the basic ball/strike, fair/foul, safe/out concepts, but may not know much of detail regarding obstruction, interference, etc. Some (certainly not all) have learned a little diplomacy in properly discussing issues with officials.

I work a mix of HS ball and mens league. Therefore, I would suspect most have probably been around game more than the volunteers of the youth leagues (and likely know more). Yet, I've seen things as basic as not knowing when they're in an infield fly situation. Teams thinking they are because of an R1 and less than 2 out. To me, it doesn't say much for coach. I realize that, being in Texas, I will run into many baseball coaches at HS level who are in that baseball position only because they are a great defensive back coach in the fall season, and they need to keep busy in the spring.

I feel the point that you accept as the premise of your post, is indeed, one of the major weaknesses that I personally see in coaches. Perhaps if they would make greater effort to better know and understand rules, it would aid them in their coaching of players and overall success and performance on the field. It certainly beats teaching or allowing a player to protect R1 stealing 2nd by pretending to swing so hard so he can fall over plate to make it more difficult for catcher. I see that all too frequent, and from the same teams. (just an example)