View Single Post
Old Mon Nov 11, 2019, 08:43am
Esteemed Forum Member

He's A Rebel (The Crystals, 1962) ...

... But just because he doesn't do what everybody else does ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRZ View Post
Discussion? What's to discuss?
Whether or not we will be doing something different, and teaching something different to our rookies, for the first time in forty years due to this unannounced "international" change. Our state board and local board almost always go along with IAABO mechanics, but not always.

If indeed the directive is truly "meaningless", then why not do it the prescribed way instead of the another way?

If the directive wasn't "meaningless", and had some real impact, then sure, one could argue that doing it one way has advantages or disadvantages over doing it another way, or no way at all, just do it haphazardly or randomly.

Along the same lines, who cares which official checks the scorebook pregame, or which official observes which team during warmups, or which official tosses the jump ball, or which official administers the throw-in to start the second, third and fourth periods?

Certainly not the fans, nor the coaches, nor the players, nor the local newspaper sports reporter, nor the lady running the concession stand, nor the police officer standing in the corner of the gym.

So if nobody cares, let's do all of these "meaningless" things haphazardly and randomly.

"What? Not listed? I thought that you checked the scorebook?"

"No, please, you toss the ball."

"Why are we both observing the home team."

"No, you administer the throwin this period, I'll do it next period."

Or, maybe we could just go through some type of checklist to pregame these "meaningless" duties before we walk out onto the court. Different games, different duties, different officials.

Or, how's this for a crazy idea, just incorporate these "meaningless" duties into the rulebook and mechanics manual and keep these "meaningless" duties consistent from game to game, maybe even from state to state, and use our pregame conference for more important things.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 11, 2019 at 11:12am.