View Single Post
Old Thu Sep 18, 2003, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Warren Willson

It is unacceptable to go for help on a pulled foot situation AFTER you have made a call and AFTER you have had a conference with either coach. The point is there should be no need to wait that long if you have any doubt, just like on a checked swing attempt.

If Warren considers "a conference with either coach" as a "lengthy argument", then I would certainly agree with Warren. However, Warren's past statements regarding this issue don't tend to reflect that belief. Warren's past statements, as I best recall, indicated he felt that if a coach merely appealed the judgment decision which was made due to a pulled foot, Warren then felt it was too late to request help. I also believe Warren has now changed his position from stating it was illegal to seek help after a coach appeals the decision to unacceptable seek help.

I disagree with Warren's past stated position, and I also believe the MLB Umpire Manual disagrees with that.
From the MLB Umpire Manual:
    Section 4.12 CREW CONSULTATION AND GETTING THE PLAY RIGHT
    As the Casebook Comments to Official Baseball Rule 9.00 point out, the first requisite as an umpire is to get all decisions ultimately correct. Umpire dignity is important but never as important as getting the play right.

[snip]

An umpire is urged to seek help when that umpire's view is blocked or positioning prevents such umpire from seeing crucial elements of a play. An umpire is also encouraged to seek help in instances when that umpire has doubt and a partner has additional information that could lead to a proper ruling.

[snip]

GUIDELINES:

When an umpire seeks help, the umpire should do so shortly after making the call. There should not be a lengthy argument with the manager that is followed by a crew conference about the call in question.

Some judgment calls are not subject to reversal. These include: steal and other tag plays (except if the ball is dropped without the umpire's knowledge); force plays (when the ball is not dropped and foot is not pulled) [my emphasis]; and balls and strikes (other than check swings). Also, some calls cannot be reversed without creating larger problems. An example is a catch/no catch situation with multiple runners.

IMO, there is considerable difference between a coach's mere appeal to seek help, a conference, and a "lengthy argument."

An appeal or a brief conference with a coach is his proper way of letting you know that he felt you missed a crucial element of the play. He is not necessarily arguing your judgment of the timing of the play. A "lengthy argument" regarding the call is not his proper way of appealing. Also keep in mind, a "lengthy argument" is not apt to occur unless you have certainty of your call, have advised the coach that you saw the foot on the base, and you have no doubt or reason to seek further help.
When you feel certain of your call, you should not seek help merely to appease a complaining coach.

HOWEVER, if doubt exists in your mind that the fielder's foot may have been pulled from the bag during the force play without your knowledge, then you should seek that help immediately, even if after a mere coach's appeal, if you know your partner was in proper position to provide you that needed information that can eliminate your doubt---that is, confirmation of the foot on the base vs. the foot being pulled off the base.

There is no dignity in maintaining an obviously blown call.....
And it is acceptable to seek help if there is doubt in your mind that you may have missed a crucial element of the play---even if such help is sought after a coach's request to seek that help. Seeking help is not based upon the coach's actions, but rather your certainty of your initial decision in whether you felt you saw all elements of the play to get the call correct.

Freix