View Single Post
Old Tue Nov 05, 2019, 05:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gslefeb View Post
The answer is yes as both infractions are covered by Art 2 (2a and 2c) and the penalty is only 1 Tech per article 2.
I know that "Yes" is the correct answer, and I know that both "infractions" are covered under 2a and 2c, and I know that the penalty is only one (maximum) technical foul for article 2.

My real question is is this (bolded in red below) a true infraction ...

1) One minute prior to game time, the Team A coach changes a designated starter. It is not due to necessity. The official assesses a technical foul to Team A. At half time the coach has the scorer change a player’s number in the scorebook and notifies an official. The official assesses no penalty. Is the official correct?

... based on this (also bolded in red below):

Section 4 Player Technical
A player shall not:
Art. 1 Participate after changing his/her number without reporting it to the scorer and an official.

10.4.1 Situation: A1 is directed to leave the game because of blood on his/her uniform jersey. The jersey cannot be cleaned immediately. Team A requests and is granted a time-out. A1 leaves the visual confines of the playing court and changes to a different jersey. The number change is reported to an official and the scorer and is recorded in the score book. (a) A1 completes the jersey change and the new number is recorded within the limits of the time-out; (b) A1’s original jersey is cleaned during halftime. A1 changes back into his/her original jersey and reports the change to an official and the scorer. RULING: (a) Legal. There is no penalty. A1 may remain in the game. (b) Legal. There is no penalty. A1 may enter the game wearing the original jersey. Comment: All potential confusion has been eliminated through the official reporting and recording of the jersey number changes and the referee informing the opposing team. (10-3-1, 2-3)

In other words, is it illegal to change a player’s number in the scorebook at halftime after notifying an official (with good reason: blood, tear in jersey, wrong size jersey, etc.)?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)