View Single Post
Old Wed Oct 16, 2019, 12:07am
Official Forum Member

I had a varsity school today (last night) that was simply a mess with their libero replacements. (I'm R2)

First issue: The serving team attempted a very late libero replacement, I saw the libero exit the floor, then immediately heard the whistle for serve, so I focused on the receiving team. We play the point out, and the serving team wins the point. At this point I look and we have 5 players on the floor, not 6. I hear the serving coach then ask for a lineup check, at which point I realize there are only 5 players on the floor. After discussing the situation with the R1, we realize that the serving team only had 5 players on the floor during the point. Illegal alignment loss of rally point to receiving team (At this point I realized there was an error by the scorekeeper as to who the correct server was as well), which we also had to figure out.

Second issue: About 4 points later (before set point), Libero is on the floor for #24. #24 and the libero execute a proper libero exchange, at the same time there is a substitution #8 enters for #11 (right back position). The Libero then does a replacement with #11 (during the same dead ball). I catch this and issue a YUD.

Third issue: early in the next set, #24 and the libero execute a proper libero replacement (#24 in, libero out). At the same time #8 enters for #11. This time the team does not try the immediate libero replacement, but waits until the next point (Yeah, maybe they have it). I look over to see #8 coming into the substitution zone just after a legal replacement between the libero and #11 took place. Since I blew the whistle for the substitution, now I have to do something. I give the team another YUD (different set).

4th and 5th issues: My R1 seemed a little quick to whistle for serves. On at least two occassions, he blows the whistle for service while the same team is executing a libero replacement ( a little late, but something he should have observed before the whistle and beckon). Once was when they were serving, and the other was as the receiving team. I started to signal an out of alignment on the one, but he shook me off before I could whistle. The second time was on the serving side and I didn't even try to call it.

After the match he said he was a little quick on whistling for the serve, which was why he didn't want illegal alignment called.

i did have to explain to the score table why they had 7 people on the floor when the whistle blew for serve though (the 7th was running off).

It was one of those nights.