View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 15, 2019, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
It most certainly is. You took the position that the umpire after the fact realizes that he "screwed the pooch" and now does not want to face the music with the powers that be or is trying to curry favor with the HC by letting him off the hook for his inappropriate behavior.

MTD, Sr.
I agree. In Michigan, once you have ejected the coach, he is ejected. You can't later go back (and I'm going to try to quote Mark Uyl, now the MHSAA Director) tell the coach "you are just going to not write it up." Once you eject, and agree to eject the coach (key part here), he is ejected and if the state association, like the MHSAA, has a suspension, he is suspended.

The MHSAA also puts on the directive on the school as well. They know the coach got ejected, so the coach is suspended even if the official never writes it up.

I say agree to eject a coach for one reason. During a track meet, I decided to eject the coach of the host school. After talking with my partner at the meet, the decision was to not eject the coach, but warn him for unacceptable conduct (permissible under the rules). If you are going to eject a coach, there needs to be some agreement about what is being done between the officials on the contest, if nothing else so everyone has everything on the same page when the report is filed, and the school or state asks for everyone's version.