View Single Post
Old Tue Oct 15, 2019, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

Conflicting Advice.

During our preseason training sessions on the weekend, a new official to our area but (an older veteran official) offered me some advice on having a more patient whistle.

Situation:

A1 takes off trying to take a long first step and throw the ball away from b1 to create separation. He creates space and follow the ball. His pivot foot lifted before the ball was out of his hand.

Normally I would blow this as a travel as soon as I see the ball heading down and back foot come up. The advice was that since its not a dribble until the ball returns to his hand (ie. it could be a pass/fumble if another player manages to touch it before he does) then I should be waiting until he there has been a bounce off the floor and 2nd touch to confirm dribble.

In most dribbles this is close enough/clear enough that I don't see it as an issue, but in the case of long dribbles/steps I feel like if I delay until the ball returns to his hand we could be several steps or feet from the play (depending on the type of dribble) and it will look like the play has continued by the time the travel is blown and called.

I honestly feel good about knowing a dribble when I see one, and haven't ever been caught with oops that was a pass. I will however defer to the wisdom of the group.

Me: Thanks, but why the big rush.

Coach: Oh I thought you must have a big date . . .we're not the only ones your planning on F$%&ing tonite are we!